Thursday, February 7, 2013

Peanut Butter Fudge

I love fudge!  Peanut butter fudge is my absolute favorite.  I had been looking for a long time (since high school) for a good peanut butter fudge recipe that tasted like the kind you buy on Mackinac Island.  I finally tasted some when a coworker brought it in around Christmas.  I had to have the recipe.  I asked him for it and his wife got it for me from her aunt.  Here it is, try it today.  I have frozen it (it makes a lot) and it was good when thawed.  I also like to set pieces out on the counter to dry out a bit, I like mine to have a little bit of a crunchy exterior.

Peanut Butter Fudge

3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 stick butter

Combine all ingredients except for the butter and vanilla. Cook in a LARGE pan over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture comes to full rolling boil. I used to use what I think of as my 'mac & cheese' sized pan and it always boiled over and was an annoying mess. Boil to soft ball stage, stir occasionally. Soft ball stage 234° with a candy thermometer, or when you drop in very cold water it forms a soft ball and flattens when removed from water. Add butter and vanilla, remove from heat. Beat until fudge thickens and loses its gloss, then spread in a glass 9x13" pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment