Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Breadmaker Gluten Free Bread


Jeremy was advised to go gluten free for a trial period to see if he might have celiac disease.  I have a GF bread recipe for Henry, but since Jer can have egg and milk, I thought I would try something different.  My sister in law Kerri gave me this recipe (along with some ingredients :) and I tried it right away.  I made it the first time as written, and I am really surprised how similar it is to Henry's allergy free bread.  I think that next time I will play around with the rice flour and switch out some for garbanzo bean flour, that made Henry's loaf much less spongy.

Breadmaker Gluten Free Bread

Dry ingredients:
2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2/3 cup powdered milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp egg replacer (Ener-G - optional)
3 T sugar
1 1/2 T yeast

Wet ingredients:
1 2/3 cup lukewarm water
1/2 stick butter - melted
1 tsp vinegar
3 eggs - room temperature

Set out eggs so that they can get to room temperature.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.  Stir the wet into the dry, then put into the bread maker and use the 3-4 hour standard loaf setting.

Brown Bread Variation: use brown rice flour for half or all of the rice flour.
Buttermilk Variation: use buttermilk powder instead of powdered milk, omit the vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment