Thursday, April 21, 2016

Beef Stew

I needed an excuse to use my Dutch oven again.  I emailed my sister for recipes but before she got back to me I searched for a recipe and bought the ingredients I needed.  Her stew recipe looked good too, but I didn't have everything I needed, so I went with this one from Taste of Home.  It was good, but I think we will leave the peas out next time.  I also used oat flour instead of regular flour so that it was ok for Henry too.  It paired well with Honey Beer Bread.  Start this recipe about 2.5 hours before you want to have it ready.

Beef Stew

4 T flour (oat flour (recipe below) - wheat free)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 T vegetable oil
1 1/2 LB beef stew meat - cut into bite sized pieces
1 onion - diced
3 garlic cloves - minced
2 T flour (oat flour - wheat free)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
3 cup beef broth
14.5 oz stewed tomatoes - diced
3-4 potatoes - peeled and cut into 1" cubes
1 bag baby carrots - cut into thirds
1/2 cup peas (optional)
salt & pepper to taste

In a 1 gallon ziplock bag, mix 4 T flour, salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper, add the meat and toss to coat.  Heat vegetable oil in Dutch oven on medium high heat and brown meat in batches.  The meat does not need to be cooked through, just browned on the outside.  Set meat aside and add in onion to the pot.  Cook until tender, then add garlic and cook 1 more minute.  Stir in 2 T flour, 1/4 tsp pepper, and thyme.  Add beef broth, tomatoes, and meat.  Cover and bake at 350 for 1 1/4 hours.  Add potatoes and carrots and bake for 1 hour.  Stir in peas and test seasonings, add salt & pepper to taste.  Let sit for a few minutes to heat up the peas, then serve.


Oat Flour

Place oatmeal in a food processor and process until it is the consistency of flour.  Measure equivalent cup for cup with regular flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment