Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Crock Pot Turkey Breast (works for whole chicken as well)

After Thanksgiving I bought a turkey breast on sale, not really ever having made one before.  I hunted for a recipe and decided upon this one from Taste of Home.  I would recommend thawing your turkey properly ahead of time (in refrigerator for 2 days).  Also be sure your crock pot is large enough to fit the turkey.  I, however, did not plan ahead enough.  I had it in the fridge for a day, then put it in the sink covered with water and so I got up in the middle of the night to put it in the crock pot to be sure it would be fully cooked, only to discover the lid would not shut.  I used a makeshift tinfoil and towel lid that actually worked, who knew I was such a quick thinker at 3 in the morning?  This recipe also works great for chicken!

Crock Pot Turkey Breast

1 bone in turkey breast (6-7 LB, thawed)
1 T olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp seasoning salt (use allergen free recipe)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp pepper
1/2 cup water

Remove skin from turkey and place in large crock pot.  In a small bowl, mix together the oil and seasonings, rub over turkey. Add water to the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until tender.  Remove 1 hour before serving and debone the turkey, then return to crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment