Thursday, January 31, 2013

Apple Empanadas

I thought that I originally got this recipe from Allrecipes.com, but when I just went to search for it, it wasn't there.  Originally it was made with 6 tortillas and you were supposed to individually wrap the pie filling in them and pour the sauce over top.  When I made it that way, it was extremely difficult to cut into bite size pieces with a fork when you went to eat it, so instead I cut the tortillas into small pieces so you can just spoon it up.  Plus I was able to add more tortillas so it makes even more deliciousness.  My husband commented last night as he was eating some leftover apple empanadas with ice cream that this is his favorite non chocolate dessert.

Apple Empanadas

21 oz apple pie filling
10 tortillas
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
ice cream - vanilla

Cut tortillas into small squares.  Cut apples in filling into smaller pieces.  In a saucepan, bring butter, sugars, water, and cinnamon to a boil.  Cook and stir for 3 minutes, then pour into apple pie filling, mix well.  Stir in tortilla pieces and pour into a 9x13" baking dish.  Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.  Serve warm with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment