Friday, July 11, 2014

Crazy Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting - allergy free

Here is the cake before frosting and after.

My friend from work, Bonnie, eats gluten-free and passed this recipe on to me to test out.  I had seen it before, but never with someone having tried it with a gluten-free flour blend.  Since I have had the most luck when I mix flour blends, I used two blends together.  I also followed the advice of the gluten-free reader who said to increase the baking soda.  I looked at the frostings that were recommended on the site and remembered a peanut butter one I had put on a peanut butter cake and decided to convert that one instead.  Side note, if you make the peanut butter cake, you need to bake for 30 minutes, not 15 as stated in the recipe.  Also, I forgot to add a bit of xanthan gum, next time I make it I plan to put some in.

Crazy Cake

3/4 cup cups gluten free all purpose blend (bob's red mill - garbanzo bean flour main ingredient)
3/4 cup gluten free multi-purpose flour blend (king arthur or betty crocker - rice flour main ingredient)
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp vinegar

In a mixing bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.  Add water, oil, vanilla, and vinegar.  Quickly mix together and pour into lightly greased 8x8" baking dish.  Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.  It is important to work quickly so that you don't lose any of the leavening action.

Peanut Butter Frosting

1/2 stick butter (earth balance buttery stick - milk free)
2 T milk (almond milk - milk free)
1/4 cup peanut butter (wowbutter - peanut free)
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 T vanilla

Place butter, milk, and peanut butter in a bowl and microwave until melted.  Stir in vanilla and then add powdered sugar.  Spread over warm cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment