Friday, March 28, 2014

Allergen Free Chocolate Chip Cookies


This recipe is from Learning to Bake Allergen Free by Collette Martin - if you have or have a child with food allergies, I highly recommend buying this book.

It can be used to make sugar cookies too (omit chocolate chips and top with raw sugar).

She designed the recipe with buckwheat flour instead of oat flour, but Henry did not like them and wouldn't eat them (I also did not think they tasted very good, but Grandpa took them home, they reminded him of some that his mother used to make).  I remade them with oat flour - I made the oat flour myself!  I didn't know that you could do that, but I just took some oats and ground them in a food processor, voila, oat flour.  And now they taste like actual cookies!!!  I can't tell you how excited I am about this.

Allergen Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup oat flour
3/4 cup gluten free all purpose blend (bob's red mill - garbanzo bean flour main ingredient)
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick earth balance natural shortening - cold
2 T unsweetened applesauce - cold
2 tsp water (as needed)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (enjoy life - milk free)

Whisk together flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and sugar.  Cut shortening into tablespoon-sized pieces and cut in with a pastry cutter.  Keep cutting until the shortening is about pea-sized.  Stir in applesauce.  Add enough water until the dough comes together, about 2 tsp.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Refrigerate for 1 hour.  Use a small cookie scoop and place on cookie sheets - do not flatten, bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.  Makes 2 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment